Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Back in New Zealand

Kansas City.  Los Angeles.  Sydney.  Auckland.

I arrived here in Auckland, New Zealand yesterday afternoon with all my luggage intact and a few hours of sleep stored up from my 14 hour flight from LA to Sydney, Australia.  Upon arrival back in this "City of Sails" I was greeted swiftly by my district superintendent and dear friends Neville and Joyce Bartle, and treated to a hot home-cooked meal before heading off for an early bedtime.

With each flight I boarded on the journey home, I marveled at the technology that allows me to cross continents and oceans in a matter of hours without a second thought. These flying machines we like

to call airplanes are pretty nifty inventions, eh?

 I began to think of  Psalm 20:8 in which David gladly proclaims,
"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God."  My "chariots" came in the form of an Airbus, a 747 and finally a 737 jet, but they weren't the ones who brought me safely here to New Zealand.  The Lord in his goodness has carried me across the sea to continue to join him in his mission of reconciling lost and broken people back to himself.

Perhaps I could rephrase that psalm and join David in saying, "Some trust in technology and some in flying machines, but I trust in the name of the Lord my God."

Before heading back home to Whangarei, I now have the privilege of meeting up with friends and fellow missionaries to Papua New Guinea: Jeff, Susan, Ethan and Jessica Myers!  They will be here in Aotearoa gracing me with their presence for a few days on their way back to the USA for home assignment.  Our next stop is Hobbiton.

If you're a Lord of the Rings or Hobbit fan, stay tuned to this blog for photos!







No comments:

Post a Comment