Friday, December 9, 2011

Tutukaka Coast, Jelly Fish . .. and a sore foot?

Wherever you find yourself in New Zealand, you are never far from the ocean, mountains, and nearly every form of breathtaking scenery. Today I enjoyed a leisurely Saturday afternoon with my new friend Tanya on the Tutukaka coast, about 30 minute drive from Whangarei.  Believe it or not, I've been here in NZ for 3 months, yet have had very little exposure to the beach, due to my lack of transportation.  Today was different.

Though it was a fairly cool and cloudy day, we enjoyed chatting, watching surfers, and playing with jellyfish.  Yes, I said playing with jellyfish!  Apparently there are varieties of jellyfish that are not poisonous and today hundreds of them washed up on shore, making the sand look more like bubble wrap than a beachhead. See photo.
  
I also managed to step on what might have been some type of sea urchin, filling the sole of my right foot with little spikes.  Ouch!  Still recovering from that one! Other than that, it was a wonderful day and I am thankful for the treasures of  sea that God gave us to enjoy.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. WOW !! non-toxic jellyfish... only in NZ :)
    Hope your "urchined" foot heals quickly Alison!

    We were at HyVee yesterday and saw your dad. Enjoyed a short visit with him.

    Your new granny flat :) looks very nice.

    We had an incredible speaker last week, Hal Perkins... a benchmark time for Faith Journey. Maybe you can listen it to it... look for the Dec 4th link on the sermon page. I have been having space problems on the web site so only able to post one sermon at this time :( BUT, I'll see that this one stays around.

    So glad you were able to get away with your new friend Tanya, and to the beach WOAH!!... now I'm going to have to battle envy :)
    Blessings to you Alison... Hope we can Skype later this evening.
    in a little while Sherry and I are going to see if we can locate Clark, Steve and Jimmy (homeless brothers). We have some additional winter clothes for them.
    Ron & Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe you can just copy/past this link in your browser...

    http://websitemanagementcenter.com/client/Faith_Journey_Church_ZEY0DO/Sermons/Hal_Perkins_12.04.2011.mp3

    ReplyDelete