Sunday, April 26, 2015

ANZAC Day

Yesterday was ANZAC Day here in New Zealand, a day set aside on April 25th of each year to honour the fallen and returned war veterans in the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps.  (Hence the acronym).

Nearly every city, town, and village in New Zealand commemorates this day with a dawn parade and public ceremony.   I had the privilege of participating in yesterday's events here in Whangarei and found myself among a crowd of thousands of proud Whangarei citizens braving the early morning darkness to come out in support of our troops.  This year marked the 100 year anniversary of the Anzacs landing on the Gallipoli Peninsula in WWI.  It made me so proud to call this city home for nearly four years.

Photos are courtesy of my friend Jess.  (My photos are a bit fuzzy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment